Subject: Re: depth of field
From: Ernie Wright <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 02:48:36 -0400 (EDT)

Marko Dabrovic suggested creating a kind of alpha channel that would
encode distance from the focal point, then using this to simulate DOF
by applying blur with an intensity that varied with the values in the
alpha image.  The motivation would be to speed up DOF, which otherwise
requires Medium or High AA.

LW plug-ins have access to the Z-buffer, so creating a new channel is
only necessary when the blurring is applied outside LW.  An ImageFilter
plug-in could easily apply the blur, but I'm skeptical that the results
would be satisfactory.  In particular, I think a filter would have some
trouble with transparency and reflection/refraction, and with the sharp
edges of in-focus objects that obstruct out-of-focus objects.

But don't let me stop anyone from trying this.

- Ernie

--
Ernie Wright <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]